Enter your email address:

Arcade DIY Project

10 November 2008 1:25 PM

For a while now I've been slowly working on an MAME arcade project.
It's been something I've wanted to do for many years now.
I started with finding an old arcade machine on Trade Me in a location not too far from home (have to get it to my place somehow without paying high shipping costs).
Had no idea what game it was, but I didn't care. I just needed the out shell.

Found out the game was "Bad Dudes vs. Dragon Ninjas".

However, I ripped the game PCB out (if anyone wants it, I'm willing to sell the JAMMA board).

The monitor was slowing dying, so I replaced it with a 21" CRT television.
While not ideal (would have preferred a standard 21" CRT computer monitor with VGA inputs), it worked due to the S-Video and Component inputs.
Had to repair some of the wooden casing due to moisture weakening some points.
Sanded and repainted the insides (which were black with accumulated dirt and grime - yuck!)
Added in a spare PC I had lying about (nothing fancy, Athlon 2000+ XP, Geforce 6600, and 1gb DDR Ram).
Also picked up a relatively cheap, yet bloody sturdy, arcade joystick. Primarily for use with either an Xbox or PS1/2. It's no X-Arcade, but it's damn close!
Built an Xbox to USB controller adapter and hey-presto! PC Arcade Joystick!

It's still not 100% completed, but it's pretty close. Some rough edges to tidy up, and need to replace the coin slot (which I also removed)

Would have liked to photo document the work, but meh. Call me lazy. I did however take a couple of phone cam shots of the (almost) finished product.

0 comments:

Blue's News

1UP RSS feed

Shoryuken

Gametrailers.com - Customized RSS Feed

GamesRadar - Xbox 360 News

GamesRadar - PS3 News